Friday, November 28, 2008

Pips (Thanksgiving)

Well it's the time of the year for all the introspective bull crap. Some time next week Gentex will do something that in it's 34 year history, through the oil embargo, 9/11 and all the other ups and downs, that it's never done before: enforce and involuntary lay off. Right before Christmas. Yippie freaking Skippy. Some financial big wigs are actually saying we've transcended recession into depression, whatever that means. New car sales worldwide are down some 30%, so for a company that services almost exclusively the worldwide new car market, what percentage do you think we're going to ask. The truth is, I don't actually know; the fate of my own employees are is someone elses hands. My fate is with theirs: there is a very real possibility I could be among those who are laid off: a significant lay off of production workers will knock out some of the salaried management and support teams. So this weekend plods along, knowing that I return to work on Monday it's very possible I will have to show some of my team the door, or have a box for me to fill on my desk. Of course they might drag us along for another week as they try to wade through the murky waters of this economic uncertainty. So thanks for that.

As usual (See the last 26 years) my level of ambition is only surpassed by supreme lack of follow through (might be what's wrong with my long irons too). My momentarily glimpse of positive thinking appears to be over, returning me to the comfortable doldrums of general fatness and unhappiness. It was nice while it lasted. I'm not sure what I can do to motivate myself at this point, I have an uncanny ability to sabotage my own plans - it's almost as if I know what I'm going to do. The projects I'd like to work on cost money, which I don't have, and if the disgusting sick feeling of overeating won't stop me from doing it, well I have no idea what will.

Alex rocks as usual, he continues to amaze every day. I'll do an update for him sometime soon, kind of a sour subject, as fully a 3rd of his life in pictures are trapped on a crashed computer which is in the incapable hands of some dude at Best Buy.

Bah. I'll try this again when I'm in a better mood.

No comments: